Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My ten year old lab slipped on the stairs on Monday. Her

Customer Question

My ten year old lab slipped on the stairs on Monday . Her left hip/butt area looks odd. Swollen or out of place. She is eating and acting normal
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Bailey
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Bailey?
Customer: She is on arthritis medicine
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 9 months ago.

Hello and welcome,

My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience in treating cats and dogs and and smaller pets, rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today.

However before I can start I need a little more information to make things clearer for me, so could you please answer the following, you can then expect to receive a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

1. Has she been walking normally since this incident?

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
She sometimes doesn't put all her weight down but it's not consistent

Hello again

Sorry to hear Bailey is uncomfortable, however I have worked out a reply for you below.

1. If something really bad had happened such as a dislocated hip then you would know all about it, such dogs would not be weight bearing on the leg and would be in severe discomfort. What you are seeing could just be bruising, but swellings below the tail area can sometimes mean a perineal hernia.

2. Given the time scale and the fact that your dog is already on anti-inflammatory drugs your best plan is to have your vet check this over just in case.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how your dog is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning her hip problem ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thank you . She has an appointment scheduled for tomorrow. She happily went on our evening walk and walked fine

Glad she walked OK today.

Please let me know how things go at the vet.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The ver says the fall was unrelated . She has a large mass on the muscle . She did an xray and needle biopsy so far

Thanks for the update, I was wondering how Bailey was doing ..

Hopefully the mass is not so serious.

Regards,

Dr Scott