PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue

I have a eight week old female puppy with vaginitis. There

Customer Question

Hi, I have a eight week old female puppy with vaginitis. There is a slight yellow discharge. My veterinarian is telling me that you don't treat it, it just goes away on its own after a while. I don't know if that's accurate, it doesn't sound like it would be accurate. Can you please clear that up for me? Thanks!
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 1 month ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Your vet has given you accurate information. Most of these do clear on their own. Typically treatment involves cleaning the vulva 1-2 times daily and many vets will perform a vaginal cytology to ensure that there is not a major overgrowth of bacteria (in those cases antibiotics are indicated). Most dogs will have a few low grade recurrences before their first birthday. Most dogs by 1 year of age will stop having cases of vaginitis and, in some cases, they will stop by 6 months of age. If this is her first case of vaginitis, its common for a vet to instruct you to clean the area and monitor. If needed, antibiotics can always be started in the near future.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page:

Checking in, Paul. How is your girl?