Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

I have a two week old puppy that I am bottle feeding, her

Customer Question

I have a two week old puppy that I am bottle feeding, her ears have not opened yet. This morning she was fine, but when she woke up for her 2:00 feeding I noticed a large lump under her right ear.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Rosie she is a beagle pup
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Rosie?
Customer: Just that she is being bottle fed, she has been healthy and eating fine so far.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 8 months ago.

My name is*****’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health/ behavioral fields for 19+ years. It will be my pleasure to work with you.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
what should I do for her?

A lump under the ear might indicate a swollen llymph node. Swollen lymph nodes can be due to many causes including infections, autoimmune diseases, fungal and bacterial infections and lymphoma (cancer). You can read about the lymphatic system in the dog here:

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/structure-and-function-of-the-lymphatic-system-in-dogs/page2.aspx

Now it could be due to a puncture wound that the pup sustained at birth. Often a mother will inadvertently nip the pup while trying to free them from the sac. If it is a first time mom, they sometimes are anxious and bite a little too hard and create a wound on the pup that often is not seen. The outer skin heals but bacteria is trapped under the skin and an abscess develops. You can read about here:

http://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/diseases-conditions-of-dogs/symptoms/abscess-in-dogs

You will likely need to have the pup seen by your vet. Your vet can determine if it is a lymph node swollen or an abscess. If an abscess, the vet can drain the abscess and prescribe antibiotics to help clear up the infection.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer positively so I am compensated for my time.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Just checking to see if you got Rosie in to see the vet. Was it indeed an abscess? Was it drained or did the vet recommend euthanasia? I hope not. Did you find my answer helpful?