Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.
16881297

New dog who is just about 2 - he was being trained as a

Customer Question

New dog who is just about 2 - he was being trained as a service dog but the breeder said the family did not want him. He has been with me for three weeks and is amazing. Only thing is when I come home from work he runs away from me. I just let him be and in a while he walks over to me and sits and everything is fine
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: I think you might have hit the wrong chat
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Gru
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Gru?
Customer: no, he went to the vet within 4 days of getting him and he is in great shape, just weird with me coming into the house and how he reacts
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 5 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian, and would like to assist you. I will respond quickly after reviewing your question.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
he is not home alone, my older sister lives with me and she is in and out of the house all day. When she is out he is in his crate and is fine in the crate.I am the Alpha and he bonded with me right away. So I am assuming he doesn't like me leaving?

Good Afternoon and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

I am so happy that you adopted Gru...I am proud that you would take him since he is a bit older. This running away from you tells you that he does not trust people in general. You will have to work every day at earning Gru's trust by giving him small treats when you come home, talking to him in a soft voice and allowing him to run away if he feels threatened even though you are not threatening him. Purchase a DAP Collar at the pet store. This is a canine pheromone that acts as a calming agent and will decrease his anxiety and help to earn his trust more quickly. I am sure there is something to Gru reacting to you leaving him which is part of that "trust" issue....keep working on it,,....you are doing great but 3 weeks is not much time with a sweet dog that does not trust in many people.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.
Sincerely, ***** *****

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
it does, but, he doesn't do that to anyone else in the family.

You said it yourself that he is bonded to you and many dogs will only bond with one person. Try the tricks I told you. Gru has trust issues for sure and you will be the one he responds to.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Loretta