PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

My 4 year old German Shepherd has suddenly (since yesterday)

Customer Question

My 4 year old German Shepherd has suddenly (since yesterday) been drinking excessive amounts of water, then vomiting it, sometimes foamy, and with mucus.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: No, he hasn't.
JA: OK. The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Zach. He also regurgitated his food 2 days prior.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Zach?
Customer: He had Pano as a puppy.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 2 months ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

The regurgitation of his food, high volume of water consumption and the vomiting all suggest that Zach has a pretty substantial GI upset. I can give you some things to try at home, but if his symptoms don't improve quickly he will need to see a vet for diagnostics and injectable medication to be administered. There are a variety of causes including the ingestion of things that may have upset his stomach such as human food, leaves, sticks, etc. to more major concerns like gastric blockages due to consuming part of a toy, a bone, etc.

The first step is to administer a dose of regular pepcid (famotidine) every 12-24 hours. You will want to give 0.5mg/pound of body weight (a 10# ***** would receive 5mg, a 5# ***** would receive 2.5mg, etc). For this, you can visit any human pharmacy and buy the OTC brand name Pepcid, or you can use the cheaper, off-brand “famotidine” that’s available. Either will be useful.

2 hours following a dose of famotidine, the time needed for the medication to begin working, you can offer a bland diet. To make this, you’ll combine white or brown rice, boneless, skinless chicken breast and sufficient water for cooking in a stock pot. Boil on medium until it turns to mush and the breast is easily flaked. To avoid more nausea, start with small amounts to begin with and offer the amount every 2-4 hours. A few teaspoons to start is typically sufficient and you can work your way up every 2-4 hours in incremental increases until you’re sure no vomiting will be seen. If your companion requires a more palatable food, try adding in pureed baby food in chicken, turkey and similar flavors. Avoid those that contain onion or garlic in the ingredient panel.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Checking in, JACustomer. How is your companion?

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

PitRottMommy