Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

I think my 35 pound Shellie may have picked up my Blood

Customer Question

I think my 35 pound Shellie may have picked up my Blood pressure medication. It is Diovan, 80mg it has been almost 2 hours,if it was picked up, she is fine and her usual playful self. I know dogs take BP medication if needed. Will she be okay.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 8 months ago.

Hi. My name is***** Thank you for your question. Does this girl have any underlying health issues? Is she on any other medications?

I did some researching on this. On one of the veterinary posting sites, I found ths information. Diovan (valsartan) is an angiotensin II antagonist and tends to have a pretty wide margin of safety for acute overdoses. They discussed a case where 15# ***** ate 160 mg of Diovan and they didn't feel that it would be a big issue. So for a healthy 35# ***** to eat possibly one 80 mg Diovan, it would seem unlikely to be an issue. Watching at this time for weakness, collapse is what needs to be monitored for.