Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ

My shih tzu is 1t years old. Deaf and blind. He started

Customer Question

My shih tzu is 1t years old. Deaf and blind. He started having seizures and the vet put him on medication which seems help. However he is just skin and bones now. He can hardly walk. He just sleeps the whole day. Sometimes he doesn't even wanna eat anything. He face has also started to lose the fur. He keeps bumping into everything! It's so sad to see him like that.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Seizures always look scary. Let's get you talking to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name?
Customer: His name is Bernie
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Bernie?
Customer: He has been peeing and having the runs lately. He literally pees and poo on himself Would it be better to put him down?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 month ago.

Hi. My name is***** I'm sorry to hear about Bernie's situation. A quality of life decision is something that in most cases is determined by what an owner is seeing at home with their little one. I tell owners that for a good quality of life, that pet should be comfortable, eating ok, drinking ok, not painful, not in distress, not breathing with increased effort, and being social. His bumping into things constantly isn't necessarily a reason to let him go. IF he's not visual, he's exploring his environment and learning where things are at by this trial and error bumping. The medications that he's started on for his seizures, that may be making him more sedate and this may be something that improves as he gets more used to it. The weight loss and the siezures starting up, those aren't good things, but they may not be a reason to let him go if the seizures are being controlled and he's otherwise doing ok. You are ultimately the one seeing him at home. You know what makes him happy. If he's not being a happy dog with everything, then I couldn't look at you and say you shouldn't let him go if he's not having a good quality of life. Please let me know what questions this brings up.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
He is also having some skin problems which sometimes becomes raw and bleed. Like sores. The seizures seems to be reducing. I no longer see him screaming in pain and panting after that. Normally for cases you have seen, how long does he have to live?
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 month ago.

The skin problems he's having, they may be allergy related or have secondary skin infections there. I would recommend a recheck with your vet for those to see what they can do to keep those comfortable. As far as how long does he have to live? Honestly, there is no way to know this. IT is totally a case by case situation. Some respond well to their medications and have the seizures controlled well, why others don't. There in is the unknown.