Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

His testicles look bruised. Zeus age 6 months, Not that I'm

Customer Question

His testicles look bruised.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Zeus age 6 months
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Zeus?
Customer: Not that I'm aware of.
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
His personality and behavior are normal.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No problems eating or pottying.
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 3 months ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
This is a picture. It's shiny due to neosporin.

1) Has Zeus suffered any recent trauma? Rough playing? Surgical procedures?
2) Can you please attach a picture of what you're seeing?
3) is he on any medication at this time?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Not that I'm aware of & no medication.

Thank you for the additional information. It will take me 5-10 minutes to type out a detailed response for you. You are welcome to wait, if you would like. The website will also generate an email for you once I have responded and you can revisit the chat with a link included in the email. After reading my response, if you have questions, you’re welcome to respond and I will help you further. Otherwise, once you’re satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to rate the assistance you’ve receive from me. This is how the website will compensate me for helping you.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you!

Trauma is the most common reason for bruising on the scrotum/testicles, although there's irritation here which leads me to believe the bruising may be due to self-trauma or overgrooming the scrotum. This can be due to a great number of things from being around a female that is in season to having dermal exposure to something irritating such as a cleaning chemical on the floor or bottom of his kennel. You've taken the right approach here by applying neosporin. If he's licking, I would also recommend using an e-collar. You can pick one up at a local pet store or use these directions to make one at home: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFWPH17u0eU

If the irritation/bruising persists, I would have the area examined by your vet. Some baseline blood work would be recommended to ensure that there is no underlying concern such as a clotting disorder that might have lead to the bruising in the first place. The same should also be done if he's been allowed to breed a female already where he may well have contracted an infection. If you see progression such as obvious swelling, a change in the way that he walks, difficulty urinating, constant licking of the prepuce, penis or scrotum, etc., he needs to be examined.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The only other thing is one eye seems to have green crust around it. But he's potty training so the redness might be from the cleaning supplies.

Will you share a picture of this, as well?

Any other exposure to other dogs? Itching or rubbing his face on his paws?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I gave him a bath so I washed it off. I have another Bulldog & Yorkie!

I suspect that these both may be due to cleaning supplies. Even fumes can be enough to irritate one or both eyes, as well as the skin. You might try switching to something like odoban, 1:10 dilution of bleach to water, etc.

Something you may wish to try is a low dose of antihistamines to see if there might be an allergy component here. You can give 1-2mg/pound of body weight of benadryl every 8-12 hours. It may cause him to be more sleepy, but if you see vast improvements in his eye there's a good chance that he's sustained an allergy to something in the environment. It won't hurt to clean his eye a few times a day with warm water and a moist cloth.