Dwight Alleyne
Dwight Alleyne ,
Experience:  Veterinary Associate at Acres Mill Veterinary Clinic

My dog was taken to the vet because when he goes poop there

Customer Question

My dog was taken to the vet because when he goes poop there is something coming out of the anus, causing him to constantly feel he has to poop. The vet examined it and does not know what it is . It's about the size of a gumball inside the anus at 12' o' clock.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Scrappy / 10
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Scrappy
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Scrappy?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dwight Alleyne replied 1 month ago.

Hello my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian with over 9 years of experience. I am hoping to help you with your pet today. Since I can’t physically exam your pet, I may need to respond with several follow up questions so I can best help you. Remember there is no limit on how many questions you can ask to in order to clarify any information I have provided regarding your pet. I just have a few initial questions to ask to gather some more information if you don’t mind? How long has this been going on for? Are you noticing any blood in the feces?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No blood in feces . Stool is small and ribbon like. It's been going on for about 2 weeks. I have pictures As well.

Okay thanks for the information. It would be great to see the pictures. Does Scrappy seen painful at all? Did your veterinarian discuss diagnostic options to determine what the mass is?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
They attempted to aspirate the ball but nothing came out from what I was told he's not in any pain from what I can tell and does seem to be himself for the most part.

Okay thanks for the pictures. It does seem like a pretty large mass. If they can't get anything from an aspirate, he may need a biopsy of the area done to get results of what it could be. They can use a small biopsy tool such as a punch biopsy to minimize bleeding to the area as well

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
but no idea what it could be?

Common rectal tumors in dogs could be anything from benign rectal polyps to tumors known as adenocarcinomas that are malignant. There is also lymph nodes located in the area as well so cancer such as lymphoma could also could be a possibility. Is he neutered? If he is when was he neutered. If he is not neutered then you would also have to considered the prostate being involved as well.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
He is neutered . Been neutered since he was young.

Okay since he been neutered I would rule out prostate issue. Based on the size of the tumor and his age I would suspect that it is cancer especially since it is interfering with his defecation. One of the most common cancers that affect the rectum is an adenocarcinoma. I would recommend x-rays and possible ultrasound to rule out tumors anywhere else in the body to see if it is indicative of cancer that has spread from somewhere else in the body

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Is this something I would need to have removed . Or will it go away on its own? Or will it continue to grow and be a bigger problem?

Unfortunately if it is cancer it will continue to grow and cause further problems. The best treatment for it would be to have it removed surgically and hope it won't recur. If it ends up being cancer based on a biopsy, further treatment such as chemotherapy or radiation may be needed to slow it from coming back.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
step one should be to get a biopsy? And if it is benign then could it be left untreated?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
you have no idea what it is? And no idea why it would just appear rather quickly? My dog is fairly well monitored by my wife and he had no problem like this a couple of weeks ago.

Yes the first step should be a biopsy. You have to decide if at the time of the biopsy you want the whole thing removed if possible or you just want to get a small tissue sample to determine what it is prior to removing it. I would probably recommend removing it regardless since it seems to be causing some issues with Scrappy's defecation.

It was probably there for some time before you noticed it because it can be difficult to detect masses in the rectum. You probably just noticed it because it got large enough to poke out of the rectum or for your veterinarian to feel it. Many tumors can start of growing slowly then all of a sudden start growing rapidly for some reason.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Could it be inflammation?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Or an infection?

Not likely an infection because infection usually don't turn into a mass like that. As far as inflammation that is possible such as a rectal polyp. A biopsy will definitely help with confirmation

Either way you will want to discuss with your veterinarian the benefits of having the whole mass removed regardless of what is causing it if that is a possibility since based on the pictures it is taking up a good deal of the rectal space.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok thank you. I really was hoping I came across someone that would definitively tell me what it was.

You are welcome unfortunately it would be hard for anyone to tell you what that tumor is since many rectal tumors may look alike in appearance whether they are benign or malignant. Based on her age and how quickly it seemed to appear I would suspect it is a malignant tumor likely an adenocarcinoma. But in my experience if have seen large tumors end up being benign and smaller tumors end up being malignant so that is where a biopsy ends up being the most crucial part to answer that question.