PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue

My Boxer lab has been itching for the past month and I have

Customer Question

My Boxer lab has been itching for the past month and I have tried different shampoos, spray, antihistamine, vitamin E, etc. I just tried this shampoo that has lidocaine in it to try to ease his itching. I noticed that he has licked his bottom area and there is a red irritated area on his nub now.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if lab will be able to digest that. How old is lab?
Customer: He is 2 years old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about lab?
Customer: No, just at a loss on how to ease the itching for him.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 1 month ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

1) Do you have pictures of the irritated area?
2) What antihistamines have been used?
3) Have any diagnostics been performed on him to see if there's a cause for itching?
4) Are you seeing hair loss? Pigment changes on his skin? If so, which and where?
5) What flea prevention is being used and when was it last applied?
6) Where is he primarily scratching?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have used Benadryl. No diagnostics have been performed. There is no hair loss or pigment changes other than the nub.
I use Sentinel and it was applied last month, due to be given again September 15th. He is scratching his shoulder blade areas and licking his bottom area.

Thank you for the additional information. It will take me 5-10 minutes to type out a detailed response for you. You are welcome to wait, if you would like. The website will also generate an email for you once I have responded and you can revisit the chat with a link included in the email. After reading my response, if you have questions, you’re welcome to respond and I will help you further. Otherwise, once you’re satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to rate the assistance you’ve receive from me. This is how the website will compensate me for helping you.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Here is a picture of the sore spot

The first thing I would do is get your companion to a vet's office (or a groomer) to have the anal glands checked. Full, irritated anal glands are the top reason for a dog licking in this area.

I would also recommend using a topical flea prevention. Sentinel only keeps flea eggs from hatching, it does absolutely nothing for adult fleas. This is the second most common reason we see dogs licking in this area.

The two concerns combined could certainly cause the hair loss and irritation you're seeing in this area.

Another method of approach will be to switch antihistamines. It's my professional experience that benadryl does not help allergy dogs very well. My favorite is zyrtec and its available OTC, as well, in the pharmacy section. Dosing info here:

If this does not help with the itching, I would talk to your vet about using something like atopica or apoquel as both are more effective at helping itching dogs than antihistamines. It may take a full 3-5 days (sometimes longer) on daily zyrtec to see the benefits, if there are any to be had on this medication, for him.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: