Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

My dog ate a multivitamin that I dropped, Mr cuddles is a 3

Customer Question

My dog ate a multivitamin that I dropped
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Mr cuddles is a 3 year old Yorkie and weighs 6 lbs
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Yorkie?
Customer: Vitamin D is 400 IU and Iron is 18 mg
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 month ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

Please don't be alarmed. Only the vitamin D is of concern and a 6 lb Yorkie would need to ingest ~11,000 IU of vitamin D to intoxicate himself - a far cry from 400 IU. A one-time iron dose of 18 mg might transiently constipate or, conversely, cause transient GI distress - inappetence, vomiting and/or diarrhea. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.