Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

He had last week bloody diahhrea and vomiting. Not eating or

Customer Question

he had last week bloody diahhrea and vomiting. Not eating or pooing now. Vet recommended 5ml of Gaviscon but I'm not sure it is safe. also they say take with food but he's not eating (yesterday they gave him anethesia to do a ultrasound and ex-ray so not hungry--found a thickened mucus wall). He is a 9.5kg Tibetan Terrier.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the Tibetan terrier eat anything unusual?
Customer: no He is a fussy eater
JA: What is the Tibetan terrier's name?
Customer: Tate
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Tate?
Customer: When he was a pup he had bad tummy (they thought could be IBS) but he's 4 now and it was fine until last week. The vet thought last week a virus and now the thickening and flair could be an ulcer, IBS or cancer. it was in the tummy and upper intestine in the scan.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.

In regards ***** ***** question, Gaviscon can be used in dogs as it is just sodium alginate, sodium bicarbonate, and calcium carbonate. Though if they want to coat his stomach in case of an ulcer, you can ring the vet for Sucralfate for Tate. Otherwise, if he doesn't respond to the Gaviscon (its fine to give before food and then tempt him to eat once it takes effect) and remains off food, its worth having the vet dispense (or given an injection) of an anti-nausea treatment like Cerenia, Metoclopramide, or Zofran. As well, gut safe pain relief and appetite stimulants could also be added to his treatment plan to reduce any discomfort, nausea and give us the best chance of getting him eating.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, please rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
gaviscon ok for a 10kg dog even if not eating. Poor guys is really not well
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
they think either IBS, ulcer or cancer
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.

Hi again,

It is safe to give and in fact we usually give it 30min to an hour before food anyway to let it coat the stomach and absorb. And hopefully that will soothe Tate's stomach so we can get some food into him as you await those results for him.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.
Hi Lisa,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.