Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

My little female bichon has a bad rash and has pulled coat

Customer Question

Hi My little female bichon has a bad rash and has pulled coat out. I took her to vet and he gave her antibiotics for 3 weeks but not really helped. I never see fleas on her at all she has little lumps here and there
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Bella
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Bella?
Customer: No she is really healthy otherwise and a very strong little girl for her small size. I don't use flea control as I never see fleas although I have just started bathing with flea shampoo in case it is mites or something i breed bichons so they have a very healthy diet
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 6 months ago.

Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.

Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 6 months ago.

It sounds like you're most likely dealing with allergies. It could be a flea allergy dermatitis, but I would guess it's more likely environmental allergies.

Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 6 months ago.

To diagnose allergies, you need to get allergy testing done. This is done by injecting small amounts of allergens under the skin in a grid fashion. We then monitor the spots to see which ones she reacts to. Most allergy dogs will have many different pollens, trees and indoor allergens that they react to.

Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 6 months ago.

The treatment is then with Immunotherapy. This is by slowly de-sensitizing them to the allergens.

Here is a nice write up on how the testing and treatment works:

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=2430

In the mean time, you can try some Benadryl to help with the itching. The dose in dogs is 1-2 mg per lb body weight. It can be given every 6-8 hours, as needed.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.