Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ

She is licking her anus and is breathing heavy and is very

Customer Question

She is licking her anus and is breathing heavy and is very restless she is trying to lie down and sleep but can't get comfort
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Brandi she is about 3 1/2
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Brandi?
Customer: She was also gagging but didn't throw up
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 month ago.

Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.

Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 month ago.

It sounds like you're seeing signs of an anal gland impaction or abscess.

These can lead to irritation around the anus and discomfort. That would explain the licking and inability to get comfortable tonight.

To resolve this, we manually empty the glands. This can be done at a vet or groomer tomorrow. In the mean time, you could use some Benadryl to help with the irritation. The dose in dogs is 1-2 mg per lb body weight. It can be given every 6-8 hours, as needed.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Okay I'll take her to the vet tomorrow. What is the cause of this gland impaction? Thank you
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 month ago.

We don't always know. It's probably just some thick anal gland material that clogs the duct and then it doesn't empty correctly. Sometimes it's a recurrent issue. Most dogs, though, it's just something that happens and we empty them out and they're back to normal.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 month ago.

You're welcome.