Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ

My boxer has a large ball bump at the end of his tail, He's

Customer Question

My boxer has a large ball bump at the end of his tail
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: He's 4
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about He 's?
Customer: He has breathing problems as most boxers do, he's been acting strange distant lately and throwing up
JA: Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did He 's eat anything unusual?
Customer: Not sure. Would that effect his tail
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 month ago.

Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.

Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 month ago.

The main concern I would have with the lump on the tail is a mast cell tumor. These are common skin tumors that boxers will frequently get. If this is a mast cell tumor, rapid detection and surgical removal is key for a good outcome. If they are diagnosed and removed completely before they spread, it can be cured. If they spread to lymph nodes or grow too large, then the prognosis worsens.

If this is not a mast cell tumor and it's some other benign mass, it can be ignored as long as it's not causing any signs.

The acting strange and vomiting is not likely related to the tail lump. I don't have a good reason for that. If they do remove the mass, they'll likely run pre-anesthetic bloodwork to make sure there is no evidence of underlying kidney or liver disease. If you want to give something over the counter for nausea, you can use Pepcid (Famotidine)- 20 mg every 12-24 hours as needed.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Do you know why a dog would have a large round lump on their tail?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 month ago.

Sorry, I was helping another client.

The lump is most likely some type of tumor. Tumor doesn't always mean something bad. It could be a benign tumor that you ignore or it could be an infectious tumor (abscess). But, it could also be a mast cell tumor or some other bad kind that you really want to know about as soon as possible.

There are many things it could be. Step one is getting a needle aspirate and looking at the cells to see what it is.

Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 month ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?