Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

Kennel cough symptoms for a week now...started putting some

Customer Question

Kennel cough symptoms for a week now...started putting some coconut oil (read it might help) on her food yesterday. She gobbled it then, but today is ignoring food and treats...even her fav dab of peanut butter is no good. Stomach is kind of growling once in a while. Got bortatella vac last month - about 2 weeks before boarding for 4 nights at a good pet hotel we've used before. Ideas?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Coughing can be worrying. The Veterinarian will know what you should do. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Amber...rescue beagle about 11 years old.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Amber?
Customer: Normally sleeps a lot, so doing it now really no change....has small tumor/cyst at one nipple that vet advises will likely recede in time. Has developed tremors in last 6-8 months vet says could be a sort of canine Parkinson's condition.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 2 months ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.

I'm sorry for this concern for Amber. I do have a few additional questions to ask about her first if you don't mind:

1. Can you take her temperature?

2. I'm assuming that she hasn't coughed in the past and that this is new behavior?

3. How long after she left the pet hotel did she start coughing once she came home with you?

4. Have you contacted the pet hotel and asked if they've had other dogs develop kennel cough?

Thanks. Deb