Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ

His nose is very sensitive to touch and is running clear

Customer Question

his nose is very sensitive to touch and is running clear liquid for about 2 weeks to me it seems he is drinking alot and when i look in the one sid is moe swollen than the other
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: germanshep , he is 10 yrs old
JA: Maybe I'm confused. I thought you had a problem with a pet. Is that correct?
Customer: yes my dog 1o yrs old german shepherd
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: duke
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about duke?
Customer: when i put his food down he wont eat until later on and is drinking a lot of water
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 month ago.

Hi. My name is***** Thank you for your question about Duke. Do you feel that he's also urinating more than normal? Is he losing any weight? The clear liquid from the nose, does it seem to be mainly from one side? Has there ever been any blood or mucus to it?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
not urinating more than usual , no wgt loss,no blood or mucus, it seems moe liquid from the side that loos blocked
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 month ago.

That good that he's not necessarily urinating more than usual or having any obvious weight loss. Do you feel that he's rubbing at the nose more than normal? Can you take a picture and post it with the paper clip icon?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
he does seem to be rubbing it more he is difficult to take the picture ,hid nose is so black
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 month ago.

I'm very sorry for my delay as I got pulled away by cases at work. That is not a problem on the picture. A lot of times, that area is very hard to get good angles on to see it clearly. The drinking more could be a psychological situation. Some will just like to drink more when they are more active, the air is dryer, or they are eating foods that might make them more thirsty. If he was urinating more or losing weight, then it would definitely be more concnerning. The best thing to do to make sure the increased drinking isn't an issue is to have blood work and a urine sample evaluated to screen them for underlying issues. AS far as the clear liquid from the nose, could it be due to allergies? Could there be something in there that is affecting the nasal passage way or sinus? IF there was blood or purulent discharge, this would seem more suspect. The rubbing of it could be an indication of some irritation in there.