Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

I believe my dog is pregnant but I have not confirmed with a

Customer Question

I believe my dog is pregnant but I have not confirmed with a vet yet so I have no idea how far along she is. For the past few days she has been not eating a vomiting. Today my dog has been bleeding from her vulva and the smell is very foul, she also has something pink hanging out of her vulva. What is going on?
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 2 months ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

1) Is this her first litter?
2) What breed of dog was she bred to?
3) Did you witness the breeding? If so, what was the date she was bred?
4) Please post a clear photograph of what you're seeing from her vulva. When did this appear?
5) Any pushing or signs of discomfort?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
1) This is her first litter
2) She was not bred, she got pregnant on her own with we believe the neighbors dog which is a shitzu.
3) We have no date for the encounter
4) see pictures
5) She's showing signs of discomfort but not pushing.

At this point, I think you have more than enough reason to be concerned and I would urge you to have her examined. If possible, overnight at a local ER. Here are my concerns:

1) She's 9 years old and this is her first litter. This would be akin to 65 year old woman producing her first child as a senior. There are major health risks that come along with a breeding at this age and chances are she is going to need medical intervention. Many dogs in similar situations require a c-section if they are to carry the litter to term.

2) If she is roughly 60-65 days post-heat cycle, she could be at the end of her pregnancy.

3) The refusal to eat and vomiting poses its own health issues to her and her puppies.

4) She's bleeding from her vulva, there is a foul smell and she has what appears to be tissue at her vulva.

5) She is uncomfortable.

My concern is that she has either some prolapsed uterine tissue present here or that this could potentially be a deceased puppy in the birth canal. Depending on the length of time from being bred, this could also be a spontaneous abortion.

I would urge you to have her examined as soon as possible and having x-rays and blood work performed to ensure that she is, indeed, pregnant and to ensure that she is not experiencing a pyometra, dystocia or tissue prolapse. As mentioned, at her age getting medical help started as quickly as possible is very important not only to her health but also the health of the puppies, assuming she conceived. I would absolutely wait no longer than tomorrow morning to have her examined. If you can have her examined overnight, that would be most ideal.

I'll be standing by if you have more questions.