Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ

My chihuahua has developed a skin issue around neck. Around

Customer Question

My chihuahua has developed a skin issue around neck. Around 10 years old, female. It started out small, but has grown to almost the size of a dime. Hairless area. I have a few pictures but not sure how to upload them. Other dog inside the house keeps licking the spot on her neck.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Kelly Hill replied 1 month ago.

Hi this is Dr. Hill. I need to ask a couple of questions in order to help you with Jello.

How long has the skin lesion been present?

Does she seem itchy?

Do you put use any flea/tick products on her. Is the lesion on the top of neck or underside? Does she wear a collar that could be causing irritation to lesion?

Is there any discharge from the area or is it just hairless?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Started off as a small hairless spot a few months ago, not exactly sure. She doesn't seem itchy. No flea products besides her shampoo. No collar is worn. Doesn't appear to be discharge. I attached a few pictures. Underside of neck

?Great information. Thank you. The pictures look like there is a raised, hairless nodule that has a rough surface. Is this correct

Customer: replied 1 month ago.

Okay. That is likely Sebaceous Hyperplasia. Which is basically an overgrowth of sebaceous cells. These are benign and only need to be removed if they become infected (a possibility with the other dog licking) or unsightly. It is very common in some dogs as they age. It can be removed, if infection becomes and issue.

It could also be a sebaceous adenoma, which is also benign.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Should we cover it or put any medication?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Also, will it just keep growing?

If it is red or inflamed (hard to tell from picture), then you can use a topical antibacterial cream or oral antibiotics (cephalosporins from local vet). I would not cover because that will not make a significant difference and may make it worse. Yes, they do continue to grow. Many people choose to have them removed. Best to prevent housemate from licking the area because it will introduce bacteria.

They are easily removed with a light sedative and local anesthesia or with general anesthesia.