Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist

4 day old pups have fleas mom was treated with frontline

Customer Question

4 day old pups have fleas mom was treated with frontline plus
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Rosie
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Rosie?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 1 month ago.

My name is*****’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health/ behavioral fields for 19+ years. It will be my pleasure to work with you.

I am typing your reply now. It will take about 10-15 minutes to type it all up.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Will you respond to my concern

Unfortunately, newborn pups can not be treated for fleas with anything like frontline/advantage or even flea powder. Now I do know that some vets will say go ahead and sprinkle a little flea powder on the pups, but they really are too young for it. They are also too young to be bathed to remove the fleas. You can use a flea or lice comb though and comb the fleas off of the puppy. If you comb them off, you can knock them into a cup of water with soap in it to trap the fleas and keep them from jumping back off.

Any fleas that travel from the pups to mom will be killed by the frontline. Once the pups are three weeks old, you can bathe them in dawn dishwashing liquid and water leaving the lather on the pups for 5-15 minutes if possible before rinsing. This kills any fleas still left.

I would also use a flea spray around the house. Use one with an insect growth regulator in it (IGR). That will help stop eggs from hatching.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer positively so I am compensated for my time.

Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 28 days ago.

Wondering if you found my answer helpful?