Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

I'm dog sitting for my son's dog (a 16-lb Shihtzu) and he's

Customer Question

I'm dog sitting for my son's dog (a 16-lb Shihtzu) and he's been vomiting a couple of times since last evening. Is it ok to give him a little Gatorade mixed in with his water?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: Lol....At Grandma's house only, we give him boiled chicken and his usual pup treats, like beef Jerkey strips. His bag of "dog food gravel" is still in his overnight bag.
JA: How old is Jerkey?
Customer: We give him Jerkey treats....GIZMO is 10.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Jerkey?
Customer: His name is GIZMO!!!!!!!! No other known health issues.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. John replied 7 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. If you get a request for a phone call, it is from the website and not myself. Mixing a little Gatorade in with the water shouldn't hurt him but is probably unnecessary if he has only vomited a couple of times and is still drinking and acting normal. The only thing the Gatorade may provide is electrolytes. It is possible that it is something he had eaten that he usually doesn't get. I would probably stick with just some chicken and rice right now and start adding in all the other stuff gradually if the vomiting has subsided for a couple of days. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.