petdrz., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in caring for dogs and cats.

I'm dogsitting 3 dogs, and two of them got into a fight last

Customer Question

I'm dogsitting 3 dogs, and two of them got into a fight last night. one ended up with two small puncture wounds, there not very deep at all. I flushed them out and put neosporian. this happened last night, and this morning they look better, but I'm wondering if I should take her to the vet or just keep an eye on it.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is the dog bleeding a lot?
Customer: no
JA: Phew. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: biscuit and 3
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about biscuit?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  petdrz. replied 1 month ago.

Hello. Welcome to JustAnswer. I am Dr Z. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with a reply ASAP.

Expert:  petdrz. replied 1 month ago.

Thanks for trusting me to help you and Biscuit today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 30 years of experience and would be happy work with you.

You have absolutely done the right thing by washing out the wounds when they happened, but the best course of action would be to have a veterinarian evaluate the wounds to see if further action is needed. Punctures rarely need to be sutured, but depending on the tissue penetration of the puncture, antibiotics may need to be prescribed. When a puncture occurs, bacteria are injected deep into the tissue and even though you cleaned it, it may still be at risk for infection deeper in the wound. On top of that, I can attest that bite wounds can be very painful, even if they are not deep. Your vet may prescribe a short course of pain medication as well. Please do not give any over the counter pain meds that you may have access to as most are not very safe or effective and may limit what your vet is able to offer if needed.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.

My posted replies are for general education only and not meant as a diagnosis. Only after a thorough veterinary examination can a diagnosis for your pet be made and specific treatments be advised or medications be prescribed.

Dr Z

Expert:  petdrz. replied 1 month ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?