Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience

My 15 year old Tibetan Spaniel started sneezing yesterday

Customer Question

My 15 year old Tibetan Spaniel started sneezing yesterday (which she has done occasionally when excited). It continued off and on throughout the day, and increased throughout the evening. Her nose is not runny and she is eating and pooping normally. I massaged around her nose and sinus area and didn't feel anything abnormal and she didn't seem to experience any sensitivity.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the spaniel's name?
Customer: Talula
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Talula?
Customer: Not really, she has been an easy dog with good health
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 month ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. If you get a request for a phone call, it is from the website and not myself. It is possible that it is just an allergy, but you cannot completely rule out an impending upper respiratory infection. A nasal foreign body, nasal mites and a nasal tumor are all potential causes. I would expect a lot of sneezing and possibly some nasal discharge with these. Given that there is no discharge from the nose and no other signs of illness, I would probably treat for an allergy first. Antihistamines, such as Benadryl, may help. Benadryl is usually safe, but since she is 15, I would just check with your vet to make sure there is nothing in her history that would make Benadryl contraindicated. If not resolving with that, I would start her on antibiotics, assuming that symptoms haven't started to get worse. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 month ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. John
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 month ago.

Hello. I was following up to see how Talula is doing and to see if you have any further questions.