Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience

My dog wont eat, but he is drinking, the vomit is and

Customer Question

my dog wont eat, but he is drinking, the vomit is brown and smelly
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: he is known to eat socks etc... he has not move bowels in a few days
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Bryce
JA: How old is Bryce?
Customer: 13 yrs old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Bryce?
Customer: he is a pit bull very gental
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 month ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. If you get a request for a phone call, it is from the website and not myself. In order to give an informative and concise answer, it may take a few minutes before I respond back to you, so don't be alarmed if you don't hear back immediately if you have responded back to me within 10 minutes of my response. I do have a couple more questions, though, to see if I can better assess your situation.

How long has it been since he has eaten?

How often has he vomited?

Does he have a bad odor to his breath?

What color are his gums?

If you press into his abdomen from both sides at the same time, is it painful or uncomfortable?

Any enlargement or distension of his abdomen?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
he has not eaten in four days, he is drinking water, but sometimes vomits afterwards, sometimes 2 time in a day. the smell is coming from his breathe, and his gums are of normal color, we bathe him yesterday and he is not show any pain in the abdomen. we have a appointment today at 4pm, but just feeling anxious!
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 month ago.

Thanks for the information. With his age, there could be a lot of things going on. My first concern would be a gastrointestinal obstruction, but that could mean something he ingested, like a sock, or a gastrointestinal tumor. He could have have kidney failure, liver problems, diabetic ketoacidosis (DKA), pancreatitis or adrenal gland problems. With kidney failure and DKA, there could be a bad smell to the breath as well. I would see if you could get him in sooner to be evaluated because chances are that he needs to be hospitalized. The sooner that is started in the day, the better. It may help if you just bring him up there to drop off, so they can get started on him sooner. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 month ago.

Hello. I was following up to see how Bryce is doing and to see if you have any further questions.