Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian

My dog has a tumor in his chest, abdomen. Awaiting surgical

Customer Question

My dog has a tumor in his chest, abdomen. Awaiting surgical consult. He is 11.5 years old. He is still drinking water but isn't eating much. Wondering if Ensure will help in short term until consult tomorrow.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the dog's name?
Customer: His name is Marley. The tumor is internal within chest/abdomen cavity. Appeared on X-ray.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Marley?
Customer: He was coughing periodically....caused us to visit the vet.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 month ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
He is a standard poodle. The tumor is large - taking up about 1/3 of his chest/abdomen cavity and putting pressure on the lung. Bloodwork was good 3 months ago. Just one enzyme off re: his kidney. He is still drinking water/urinating. Also still climbing the stairs. But his appetite is off the last 3 days.
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 month ago.

I'm sorry to hear that Marley has been diagnosed with a mass on radiographs.

Is the mass in his abdomen but so large that it is pressing on his diaphragm and thus compressing his lung(s)?

I understand that he was originally seen because of a cough.

Dogs that cannot breathe and exchange oxygen normally do not eat well. The body prioritizes oxygen exchange over eating and suppresses their appetite.

But of course with a mass he needs the calories.

It may be easier for him to swallow liquids or soft foods. I would recommend a soft prescription food called Hills a/d. It is very palatable, easy to swallow, and is extremely nutrient concentrated. We often feed it after surgery, in dogs with cancer or serious illness that need the nutrients and calories.

Anther option is a liquid formulated for very sick dogs and cats called Clinicare.

Ensure is formulated for people, so it isn't the best option, but you can try it to get some calories into him while you are trying to obtain the other things I recommended. Just make sure the formula does NOT contain xylitol as a sweetener, as that is highly toxic for dogs.

Make sure he gets plenty of rest too, as the more he moves the harder he works to exchange oxygen and the more calories he burns un-necessarily.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 month ago.

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your pup. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 month ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Kara