Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian
49838867

I am taking to the vet in the morning,but was looking online

Customer Question

I am taking to the vet in the morning,but was looking online for ideas as to what could be wrong. She stated peeing large volumes and walking around while going. She then threw up her last two meals hours after eating. Since then she has been leaking urine and trying to go outside and sometimes nothing is coming out. Yesterday we were at a family picnic and I was having a hard time keeping her from lapping up crushed stone and someone gave her a small slice of a hotdog. She acts like she has a UTI but I was concerned about the vomiting up of her meals. She is not fussing in her crate but is laying up against the door.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: She is 16 weeks old.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 3 months ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 3 months ago.

If she were simply urinating more than usual and straining to urinate then a simple urinary tract infection would be the most likely cause of these symptoms in a young female puppy.

But I am also concerned about her vomiting and sudden incontinence.

That can indicate a lower urinary tract infection that has evolved into a kidney infection, or a systemic infection.

Because she is a puppy her immune system is not as strong as an adult dog so systemic infections or more serious infections are possible.

Being a puppy that is willing to mouth and eat all kinds of things eating something that was toxic to her kidneys is a concern too.

I do think that she needs a veterinary examination as soon as possible, and I highly recommend a urinalysis and urine culture.

Best of luck with your puppy, please let me know if you have any further questions.

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 2 months ago.

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your pup. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****