Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist

Our 7 yr old yorkie has started spinning on her constantly.

Customer Question

Our 7 yr old yorkie has started spinning on her butt constantly. Have had her anal glands aspirated twice with no change. Otherwise very healthy and normal. Any clues?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Amy
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Amy?
Customer: Spayed before first heat several years ago. Eats and poops normally.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 1 month ago.

My name is*****’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health/ behavioral fields for 19+ years. It will be my pleasure to work with you.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Can see no redness or loss of hair on butt. At a loss and am headed to our vet soon if unresolved.

Thanks for the information, I am typing your answer now and it will take about 20 minutes to type out.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Let's just continue with "chat". Am uncomfortable with added costs already.

Anal gland issues are often the cause of a dog spinning on their rear end, but there are other causes such as tapeworms or allergies.

Tapeworms release segments that exit the anus and spread tapeworm eggs into the environment. They can cause severe itching in some dogs. They can usually be seen in the stool and are small about 1/2 inch moving things. If the stool has dried, they look like rice in the stool or stuck in the hair around the anus. Drontal plus is also a prescription product and is used for the treatment of Tapeworms, though dewormers with praziquantel work well against tapeworms.

The last is allergic condition -- flea allergy being the most common allergy leading to itching around the base of the tail and rectal region. If your dog is not on flea preventative then this might be the problem. Benadryl at a dosage of up to 2mg a pound every 8 hours can help with any symptoms related to allergies like itchiness.

A Perianal Adenoma is also a possibility. You can read about this here:

If she was my dog, I'd try the benadryl to see if that relieves her itchiness. If she continues, I'd deworm her for tapeworms and see if that helps. If nothing helps, then you will need to have your vet take a look at her.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer positively so I am compensated for my time.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
She and our other dog consistently on Heartgard Plus and PetArmor as needed. No flea issues noticed at all. Will try the benedryl next as no sign of worms in stool. How do I give her benedryl as she is under 10 lbs. Can I cut a regular capsule into smaller bits? If not will call our Vet tomorrow and take her in. Thanks for your help. Will cross fingers.

You can cut caplets into smaller bits. Most are 25mg so half would be good for a dog around 10 pounds or even 7 pounds. Often owners use liquid benadryl. Also look for what might have triggered an allergic reaction. It could be fleas but could be from a new treat or a change in diet or even a cleaning supply that you used on the floor that she sits on.

Just a quick note to see if the benadryl helped and if you found my answer helpful?