Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

My 5 month old female pug woke up today with her left eye

Customer Question

My 5 month old female pug woke up today with her left eye swollen shut. Mucous was present but mainly the discharge is clear. She whined in discomfort at nap and couldn't get comfortable. Her disposition is very subdued. As an eye patient myself, I gather this is conjunctivitis. I have backtracking ointment and preservative free saline drops. I also have polymeric b sulfate and trimethoprin ophthalmic solution. Would this be OK to give her eye as I ran out of Panalog? There is a possibility that she got scratched while horse 0laying last evening. Eye is somewhat red when her lips are forced open and I suspect some photophobia is present as well. Treating w warm compresses as well
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Her name is ***** ***** she is our princesd
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Daisy?
Customer: Yes, daisy had Paavo approximately 5 weeks ago. Her two brothers did as well. All survived. One brother did not contract it. The first to get Paavo, went to vet and received shots that exceeded 700$ in total. Daisy and her brother fell I'll within two hours of each other. We couldn't afford it. I kept them hydrated and put some oregano oil in their pedialyte. She eats, drinks, plays, etc but one dog has this certain type of diarrhea and I can't discern which one it is but daisy is second on my list of guesses where that come from
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 3 months ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

1) Has Daisy had any access to grasses or insects today?
2) Are you noticing any welts in her coat or along her trunk?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Daisy went outside at 2am but slept in with my daughter and didn't want to go this morning outside. When I went to wake her up, I noticed her eye. No welts or hives anywhere but she and her siblings have been itchy. Today they all seemed especially itchy but it is bath day so I figured they needed a bath. Yesterday she played in the rain

With the acute swelling, I am more concerned that she's experiencing an allergic reaction. Before opting to use eye medication on her, I would recommend a course of benadryl to see if this helps. She can receive 1-2mg/pound of body weight. This should be repeated every 8 hours. Tablets and caplets are usually the easiest to give. We can keep our discussion open for the next few hours to see how she does. If she doesn't make improvement, then we can look at medicating her eye.

It also won't hurt to medicate the other puppies with benadryl if they've also been itchy. It may give them some relief.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The way her eye was sealed shut coupled w the whining from discomfort, i honestly believe this is conjunctivitis related. Eye has redness although she really won't open it. I put some bacitracin eye ointment along her lids and shortly after she briefly opened eye. I also dispensed 1 vial of refresh plus drops to sooth and flush the eye. I will go get her some benadryl. She weighs approx 8-10 lbs

The caplets will be available in 12.5mg and 1-1.5 every 8 hours would be suitable for her size.