Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My dogs right rear foot seems to be causing him pain. He is

Customer Question

My dogs right rear foot seems to be causing him pain. He is a 50 lb springer. He can put weight on it but is preferring to use right foot. He is crying a little when moving it. Nobody recalls an injury today. His appetite and mood are normal. He wants to go on his walk. Nothing is on his paw. We adopted him and have no history on him. We estimate Owen is about 9 or 10 years old.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The noise must be worrying. I'll connect you to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Owen
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Owen?
Customer: He is doing a lot of liking under that leg like maybe his hip might actually be hurting. He has regular glucosamine in his wilderness food
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 months ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is***** am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 months ago.

I am sorry Owen's leg is bothering him. If he is licking, that might be where it hurts. If I could, I would do an exam of all the bones and joints in that leg from the toes to the hip to try to find where it hurts. He may. Have a sprain, an injured ligament, or a bruise.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 months ago.

You could try giving him a little aspirin to see if that helps. How much does he weigh?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
50lbs. I think where he is liking is his hip area. How long can I give him the asprin? How many? When should I give up on asprin and go in for xray?
Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 months ago.

He can take 2 baby aspirin or 1/2 regular aspirin once to twice daily with food. If he vomits do not repeat it. Do not give ibuprofen or Aleve to dogs.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 months ago.

If the aspirin does not help or only helps for awhile, I would have him checked out. Best to know what and where the problem is. I would give the aspirin only a day or two.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 months ago.

I hope you were able to see my response; I have not heard back from you! How is he doing? Let me know if I can answer any more of your questions.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?