Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

20 pound westie swallowed a nectarine pit. Will he pass it?

Customer Question

JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Spencer, 4 yrs
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Spencer?
Customer: Takes Pancre Plus 2 xs a day with food.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 5 months ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

That's a good size pit which could lodge in Spencer's small intestine. How long ago was it ingested? If within a couple of hours you can try 3% hydrogen peroxide again dosed at 5 mL (one measuring teaspoon) per 5 lbs of body weight. If Spencer still doesn't vomit, you're necessarily constrained to having the pit manually removed endoscopically or nervously waiting to see if he can pass it unaided. Adding psyllium seed at a dose of 1 teaspoon per wet food meal for a couple of meals should help the pit pass.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Just swallowed it. 20 pounds = 4 teaspoons of peroxide?

Correct. 4 teaspoons = 1 measuring tablespoon + one measuring teaspoon.

Any luck? I have to leave my computer for a few hours. If the pit hasn't come up, consider having it removed endoscopically or begin "watchful waiting". Persistent vomiting and/or anorexia are the hallmark symptoms of intestinal obstruction. If it can pass, it should do so within 24 hours.