Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ

My dog has IVDD and cannot use his back legs. He last

Customer Question

My dog has IVDD and cannot use his back legs. He last urinated on Saturday. He's alert, eating and drinking some water.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: No, we took him to the Emergency Animal Hospital because he was staggering and falling over. He was diagnosed with a herniated disc, was given an IV, and send home on three meds.
JA: The Veterinarian will ask you more detailed questions to find out what is causing this. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Bailey, age nine yrs., 5 months
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Bailey?
Customer: No, he's been very healthy up to now.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 month ago.

Hi. My name is***** I'm sorry to hear about Bailey's situation with his IVDD. Is he completely paralyzed in his rear legs? He's not moving them at all? How long ago was he at the ER hospital? What breed is he?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Not completely, but cannot stay standing nor take more than one step without falling over. He was in ER for 4 hours. Japanese Chin. I do not have a cell phone.
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 month ago.

I'm sorry about the call request. That is automatic through the site and I'm not set up for it either. So he can move his legs. If he's able to move his legs and stays briefly, I would have very high hopes that he's able to still control his urination when he feels that he needs too. Those dogs that are completely down in their rear legs can have inability to urinate and their bladders will get very big and stretched out. These cases need to have their bladders expressed 3 to 4 times a day to keep it from getting stretched out. Could he be urinating and you just not realizing it? Could he not be needing to urinate as much as he's normally done as he's drinking less water and thus not needing to urinate as much? That would be a suspicion there. What medications is he on? Do you feel he's worse than when he was at the ER clinic as far as standing?

Expert:  Miel-cssm replied 1 month ago.
We received your customer service inquiry, however, we are unable to respond to you because we do not have your email address. Please contact customer support at***@******.*** and provide us with your email address and a link to this question page so that we can help you. Thank you, ***** ***** Customer Support Team.