Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

He is a 11 year old large breed mix with cushings disease.

Customer Question

He is a 11 year old large breed mix with cushings disease. He was diagnosed 3 yrs ago and vet recommended not to treat because of age and severity of tx. He has just gone completely lame and shows distinct signs of pain. Belly is very distended and is drinking profusely. What can we do or should do?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: No wounds.
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Frankie
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Frankie?
Customer: Not that I can think of. He was still eating yesterday and just woke in this extreme stress
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.

This is a less than ideal situation for Frankie. In regards ***** ***** lameness and pain, he will need his vet to dispense dog safe pain relief. Though they will need to avoid steroids or non-steroidal anti-inflammatories (what we most often use for pain) as these will interact with his Cushing's disease and increase the risk of adverse signs. Instead, he may need to start Tramadol, Gabapentin, or an injectable opioid to ease his signs.

Otherwise, his other signs are just due to the uncontrolled Cushing's disease and will remain unless they treat. Treatment can be challenging but if your vet uses Trilostane (Vetoryl) slowly, this may be a better option(as Mitotane tends to be the harsher drug) for managing his condition and preventing this progression of signs. And once he is stable, controlling discomfort with pain medication would also be easier. So, you need to have a heart to heart chat with his vet as they address his pain. For the long term, he may need to be treated (even at a low dose) to just keep him comfortable and at least reduce the effects his Cushings is having on him.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )