Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

On Thursday I had my fence stained. He started with diarrhea

Customer Question

On Thursday I had my fence stained. He started with diarrhea thu night and last night vomiting. If they spilled stain on grass does it dry and not be toxic.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Did you see what the dog ate?
Customer: He does eat grass
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: It's a small yard
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with today.

What does his vomit and diarrhea look like?

Do you think he ate the grass with the stain? What was in the product?

Can he keep water down?

Are his gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, does he have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Last night he vomited several times. First it looked like food broken up then by 3 Rd time it looked like bile. No more for hours. Thus night though his diarrhea was kind squirting out of him. His gums are pink. No tenderness on belly now.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
He was walking around the yard and wouldn't pee, tried but almost like the smell in grass was đriving him crazy. He does eat grass and I worry he could have eaten stain dried on grass
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

Thank you,

First, I am glad to hear that is gums are normal and that he has stopped vomiting for the short term. With this all in mind, we can try some home supportive care to try to settle his stomach. To start, since he hasn’t just vomited (since otherwise we’d need to rest the stomach for a few hours first), you can consider treating with an OTC pet safe antacid (ie Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac)).Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if he has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. Also if you give this and he cannot keep it down due to nausea that is usually a red flag that we need to bypass his mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication from his vet.

Once he is more settled, you can plan to try small meals of a light/easily digestible diet. Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, or scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (garlic/onion free only). The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise continuing this until the signs are settled, and then weaning slowly back to what you normally feed.

Finally, as long as there is no blood in those stools and they aren't black (all signs of gut bleeding), you can consider trying a pet safe anti-diarrheal. As I am sure you appreciate, these would not be a cure for infectious issues; but it can still be of benefit. It will reduce diarrhea load, allow the body to absorb more water/nutrients, and soothe the upset gut. In regards ***** ***** options, the one we most commonly use is OTC Kaolin/Kaopectate (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/kaolin-and-pectin-kapectolin-k-p)). Otherwise, Propectalin, Canikur, Fast Balance, and Protexin Pro-Fiber (which is available OTC at vets, pet stores, and even Amazon) would be another option. All will slow diarrhea and those last ones have the added bonus of providing support to the delicate good GI bacteria. So, these can be used as a short-term means of soothing his upset GI.

Overall, we need to tread with care here if he may have eaten some of this stain. Though we can start supportive care just now. Of course, if he cannot keep that or water down, appears dehydrated already, or doesn’t respond to the above within 12-24 hours; then we'd want to get his vet involved. They can assess his hydration, and break this nausea cycle with injectable anti-vomiting medication, gastroprotectants, +/- fluids to settle his stomach and get him back feeling like himself.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
He gets one half a tablet of pepcid ac with every am meal. Is that enough. He weighs 13 lbs, bischon. Also what can I put around the yard to absorb any stain residue
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

Hi again,

If he is 13lbs, he can have up to 7.5 mg of Pepcid every 12 hours to soothe his stomach. Otherwise, you may need to mow the lawn in these contaminated areas once the stain is dry to remove it from the yard.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.