PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue

Dog has been fine and is still eating and going to bath room

Customer Question

Dog has been fine and is still eating and going to bath room but he is not active or wanting to get up and walk, only 8 years old
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name?
Customer: wolfie
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about wolfie?
Customer: Never had any problems
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 1 month ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

1) He will not walk willingly, but will get up to urinate and defecate. Does he then return to laying down?
2) What breed of dog is he?
3) Is he on any medication?
4) Any history of illness or injury?
5) Any signs of pain such as panting, vocalizing, tenderness when touched?
6) Any vomiting or diarrhea?

Unfortunately, JACustomer, I am not able to offer a phone call at this time. I can continue to talk online, if you wish.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
He will walk to go to bathroom,is there any OTC meds that we can give him
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No vomiting or diarrhea, No past injury or illnesses, has whined a little
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
He is a shitzu bischon mix,

My concern with your description of the situation is that your companion may be dealing with some joint discomfort. At his age, it would be wise to start him on a glucosamine supplement such as these:

I would recommend opting to have him examined and x-rays performed and canine-safe NSAIDs administered +/- pain medication, as needed. Failing this, instructions are below for home treatment.

In a pinch aspirin can be given to dogs that are uncomfortable that have no other illnesses of which we're aware. You can find that information available here:

Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page:

Checking in. How is your companion today?

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?