PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue

My 13 year old yorkie was just mounted by a maltese and i'm

Customer Question

My 13 year old yorkie was just mounted by a maltese and i'm afraid she may be pregnant. Will this kill her??
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. We need to be extra careful with pregnancies, so we'll need to connect you with the Veterinarian ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: they are both in great health.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 1 month ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

1) Did the maltese penetrate her? Did they achieve a tie?
2) When did your yorkie last produce puppies?
3) Is there any reason that she is not or cannot be spayed?
4) Does she have any medical conditions of which you're aware?
5) Is she on any medication at this time?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
he penetrated her. my yorkie has not had puppies for about 4 years. she has a tumer in her teet and I didn't want to have her get anesthesia to get it removed because I feel she's getting old and I don'twant to loose her. she has no medical conditions and is not on any medication.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
tumor. sorry I can't spell.

At 13, it's not ideal for her to produce puppies. Could this potentially kill her? Yes, but I think the risk could very well be limited by requesting that your vet provide an injection to keep her from producing puppies. Typically the higher risk of puppies will be achieved from a tie, but any penetration can result in pregnancy.

You do not need to contact your veterinarian immediately, but I would do so promptly come Tuesday when most clinics are open again for regular hours. Let them know that she had the opportunity to breed and that you do not want to risk her health carrying a possible litter to term. Most vets are understanding of this situation, especially if they're overseeing care for her mammary tumor.

In the meanwhile, keep them from breeding again. If needed, purchase bitch britches or a similar system over the weekend to keep your male from being able to penetrate her again.

Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page:

Customer: replied 1 month ago.

JACustomer, please see above for my latest reply.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you!!!!

You're very welcome. Good luck!