Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Tummy ache - can I use something like pectrolyte. She is 3

Customer Question

Tummy ache - can I use something like pectrolyte. She is 3 months now
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Snowy
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Snowy?
Customer: She doesnt drink the milk I tried to give her and keeps whimpering
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

As long as you are sure Snowy hasn't eaten anything harmful and isn't vomiting profusely, then you can try some supportive care. Ideally, we'd want to soothe her stomach with an OTC pet safe antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac), or Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet). These would be better options then the Pectrolyte. Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do check with your vet before use if she has any known health issues or is on any medications you didn’t mention. As well, if you try this and find the nausea just too severe to keep it down, then that is usually a red flag that we need the local vet to bypass her mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication.

After that has had time to absorb, we can start small meals of a light/easily digestible diet. Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. When you offer these meals, give her 30 minutes after to settle. If she keeps the food down, you can give a bit more and so on. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise that the diet be continued until her signs are settled, and that they are then slowly weaned back to their normal diet.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
She does feel hot. Can I in the meantime give her something for pain and fever?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

Hi again,

No, it is not safe to use OTC pain relief/fever reducers in dogs. Especially in pups that have gut upset since it can risk causing stomach ulcers. So, we would use the above just now but if she has pain (which makes blockages a worry), then we'd want her seen at this point. If just fever is found by her vet, then antibiotics against infection would be indicated.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.