Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist

I would like to knock him out for a few hours in order to

Customer Question

I would like to knock him out for a few hours in order to transport him safely.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the dog?
Customer: It is actually a small pup about 20 pounds and maybe three months old. It is wild and starving to death. I would like to catch him and save him as my own dog. I can only get close enough to feed him but I would like to take him home with me . Then i can take him to a Vett and get his shots and de-worm him. But first I have to catch him.
JA: There are all sorts of infestations the dog can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the dog's name?
Customer: I would like to know if I can give him Lorezapan or Tramadol to make him sleep long enough to bring him to the Vett
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: No I think , just hunger and skinny.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 1 month ago.

My name is*****’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health/ behavioral fields for 19+ years. It will be my pleasure to work with you.

The first thing I have to tell you is that no one can recommend you give a dog a prescription medication without your vet's permission. It just isn't something we can do. However, we can give you some sites that give you information on these medications that you might find helpful since they do give precautions and dosage information. See the site for tramadol below.

A better choice would be to use a humane trap. You can put the food in the trap and lock it in the open position for a few days or even a week until he is used to going in to get the food. You could start with the food at the opening and each day move it a little farther in until he goes in with no problem. Once that is accomplished, you could set it to trap him the next time he went in. You would just take the trap and him to the vet. They are used to these types of situations.

You might check with your local humane society or animal control. They might lend you a humane trap to use to capture him.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer positively so I am compensated for my time.

Just checking to be sure you received notice that you had an answer waiting.