Kelly Hill
Kelly Hill, Veterinarian
Experience:  full time veterinarian at Tender Touch Veterinary Hospital
95569734

My dog ate about 1/3 of a Brillo pad with the soap on it. I

Customer Question

Hi, my dog ate about 1/3 of a Brillo pad with the soap on it. I believe that she may have ate a whole one yesterday as well but it was an old one without the soap on it. We just moved and she is into everything! What do I do??
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Maddie and she just turned 1 year old! She has an oral fixation and constantly needs something in her mouth or to chew on, it s frustrating! :(
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Maddie?
Customer: Before we rescued her she was poisoned from xylitol but has normal functioning liver now..
Category: Dog
Expert:  Kelly Hill replied 3 months ago.

Hi This is Dr. Hill. How big is she? Fortunately, a Brillo pad is only an issue if it causes an obstruction, which is more likely to occur in a smaller dog. If you do not already own one, I would get her a crate. They make some easily collapsible ones. She should be in the crate when you are not able to watch her like a toddler. The excitement of the move and the boxes everywhere will be super stimulating. If you have a kong toy, you can stuff it with treats and put it in the crate with her. I also like to do cooked sweet potato in the kong and then freeze it. It will give her a longer treat.

Signs to watch for are vomiting and loss of appetite. Maddie is still a puppy and will be challenging while you are trying to get everything organized in the house.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
She is roughly 35 lbs.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok, thank you...

So, there is a risk for an obstruction with her. You are welcome. Please feel free to post any additional questions. I am on the site for the rest of the day.