Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

My female newfie, is in distress! Yesterday she started

Customer Question

My female newfie, is in distress! Yesterday she started panting like crazy, out of control, acted crazy, would not lay down and rest at all? She would " whistle" out her nose and at times Yelp in pain? And would be extremely clingy! None of us got any sleep ! She wanted in, out, water, up down, restless, wandering,.... yet no fever, cold wet nose, nice pink gums, lots of drinking, ate her supper just fine.? Then again ;) she has never missed a meal lol
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. It could be an infection. The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: we adopted her about one year ago, retired breeding dog, at the age of 4.we got her spayed, and there was a bad mistake during surgery, and she almost bled to death at home! Since then? stumpy has gone from 87 lbs, to a whopping 155 lbs !! She just went through through health check and blood work, she is healthy as a horse ! just fat and lazy !
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: Well till nowūüėĘ we are on day two of this crazy panting, restless behavior ? But we can not figure out, what may be wrong with her? pls help ? Thanks ! Helle
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I should maybe add that she won't let us " look" at her at all ! Once in awhile, she tries to " get at something" but being she is rather fat and roly poly, she can't quite get there ;) and it seems to be between her legs, and my husband said he could smell a faul odor a bit when she finally peed a little only 15 min ago !
My fear ofcourse is an obstruction? And waiting too long? We are beyond exhausted now and would so appreciate a quick answer please, as TM may not be fast enough !!!
She also licks constantly on her paws !
Waiting for your answer ����
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
We will already be at our own vet within a day?? What is the point of talking to you on here then ???
That worries me ...
Expert:  Kelly Hill replied 3 months ago.

Hi this is Dr. Hill. Panting, agitation and licking at her vulva are likely signs of a urinary tract infection or perivulvar inflammation. There is also the possibility of an anal gland issue. The foul odor could be associated with either. Without being able to look at that area, if it difficult to know. Has she had any urinary accidents, diarrhea or more frequent urinating?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Yeah, thanks I've already figured that out, and taken her to a vet here, that I do not trust and I'm not happy with the result ! She confirmed a bladder infection, and gave meds, and painmedication.BUT here is my issue? This dog? Has been through a lot in her life, this particular vet? Spayed her, left a bleeder inside her, sent her home and by the time I realized something was terribly wrong? My dog was almost dead, and her assistant vet performed emergency surgery! It took weeks and weeks for her to recover ! As a breeding dog, before we adopted her? She had been bit in the face, a few times, as well as a difficult birth and lost a litter....but none of these times? Has this dog EVER been in this kind of distress ok? She is out of her mind - two days now? Even on medicam? She will not leave us alone? She pants like a wild animal ? She wines, and tries to reach her private area but can't ( she is too fat ) we have had no rest - and I think it's more than " just" a bladder infection ok?
Why would she be so distressed and in pain? She won't even rest or sleep ?
No fever. This vet we were able to see? Called her a drama queen !! I think not !
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
But unless you can get back to us quick? It is of no use to us! By the time I received your other answer? We had already found a vet and gotten her in? So it was a waste of money really ( sorry)
So unless you have any idea in this case, now? I don't feel this has been worth it
It takes far too long to get a response ;(
Helle Kimery