Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

Mucus discharge in both eyes and lost of appetite, Dog's

Customer Question

Mucus discharge in both eyes and lost of appetite
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Dog's name is***** and she's having the same symptoms as Luis that just got buried yesterday after a week of the same thing
JA: How old is Ling Ling?
Customer: 2 years old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Ling Ling?
Customer: Not at this time, well I'am searching for my wife who lives in the Phillippines
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 month ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok I'am waiting your answer
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Better type your answer I already paid for it

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Unfortunately, anorexia and a mucoid discharge in the eyes are nonspecific and nondiagnostic symptoms of illness. It's reasonable to assume that the illness is infectious if she were exposed to another dog who died after showing the same symptoms but which type of infection would require a hands-on examination by a vet and perhaps diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests as well as X-rays of the chest and ultrasound of the abdomen. Was your wife given an idea by a vet what killed Luis?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
They got someone to give Louis a shot of some kind no vet he lived few more days on just little water then died,
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Other dogs in the neighbor hood have died also. Now Ling Ling has mucus in eyes still eating but fear I tight get worst and spread to the other pets

I understand your wife's logistical constraints. Do you know if these dogs had been vaccinated against distemper, hepatitis, and parvovirus - the core vaccines we give to dogs?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
None of those shots was given and I told her that here in Hawaii we give those shots when there puppy's or we lose them later

Thank you. Canine distemper, then, would be my primary concern. The virus still kills more unvaccinated dogs throughout the world than any other virus.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank You Very Much

You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.