Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist

He constantly wants water. He pants a lot. We got him from

Customer Question

He constantly wants water. He pants a lot. We got him from the animal shelter, so we have no history. Of course he also urinates a lot.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: His name is ***** ***** they said he was 7-8 years old. they got him as a stray.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Charlie?
Customer: Right now he has one eye, right , that is red and keeps oozing gook.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 1 month ago.

My name is*****’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health/ behavioral fields for 19+ years. It will be my pleasure to work with you.

In order to supply you with an informed answer, it is necessary for me to collect some additional information from you. When I receive your response or reply, it will likely take me between 30-45 minutes to type up my reply if I am still online when I receive notice that you replied. I hope you can be patient.

Has he had a vet visit since you got him?

How much does he way?

About how many cups of water do you think he drinks a day?

Does he shed excessively do you think?

What are you doing about the eye?

How long has the eye been like that?

How long have you had charlie?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
right after we brought him home he came down with kennel cough. We took him to vet for medication for that. He weighs about 12 #. If I gave it to him continiusly, probably, he would drink forever. I wash it with a warm wash cloth about 3 times a day. He's had it about 2 days. We got him May 20, 2016.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It looks like he is getting it in his other eye now.

I am answering your question now. It will take some time to type up my reply.

Thanks for the additional information. It is helpful.

It sounds like Charlie has developed a urinary tract infection. Common symptoms of a urinary tract infection are frequent urination, dribbling urine, blood in the urine, squatting frequently to urinate, strong odor to the urine, inappropriate urination and straining to urinate as well as an increase in fluid intake. Uti's can be quite painful which would also explain the panting as well.

A dog with a UTI does not always show all the symptoms and typically displays 2 or 3. I believe you need to have your Vet check your dog out so it can get medication for the problem if your dog is displaying 2 or more of the above symptoms..

Other causes for increased thirst and frequent urination include kidney failure, diabetes mellitus, cushing, and liver disease to name a few. You can read about this here:

Since Cushings also causes increased thirst and urination along with panting, your vet may run additional tests if a uti is not found. Read about cushings here:

The eye is likely to be conjunctivitis, commonly known as pink eye though a scratch might also be to blame.

You can clean the pus off your dog's eye with a warm washcloth. You can also flush your dog's eye with sterile saline solution like contact lens wearer’s use. Your vet will have to be consulted in order to get some medicine for your dog. Frequently an antibiotic eye drop is given for this condition. Sometimes Terramycin Ophthalmic Ointment is used for these problems.

You can read more about canine conjunctivitis here.

Canine conjunctivitis is a common eye problem. It can happen by itself or indicate an underlying problem. Finding the underlying problem can prevent future bouts with conjunctivitis. Underlying conditions that can cause conjunctivitis is KCS (dry eye, insufficient tear production, upper respiratory diseases such as kennel cough. Usually with respiratory infections there will also be coughing, sneezing, nasal discharge, fever, lethargy and loss of appetite. Conjunctivitis can also be cause by a foreign object in the eye or chronic irritation from a development problem of the eyelid and lashes where the lashes rub constantly against the cornea.

You can have your vet check the eye over at the same time as he does the urinalysis. With either condition, I'd suggest a vet visit since you don't want to take a chance with the eyes, but you have to go in for the possible UTI anyway.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer positively so I am compensated for my time.

Hi again,

Just a quick followup to see if you were able to get your dog seen by the vet to have his eye and a urinalysis done? I hope you found my answer helpful.