PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue

My dog may have ingested a small amount of damp rid

Customer Question

Hi my dog may have ingested a small amount of damp rid chemical
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if may will be able to digest that. How old is may?
Customer: 6. And 50lbs
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about may?
Customer: Nothi ng else
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 1 month ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I don't know whether or not to induce vomiting

Damp rid often causes irritation to the mouth and GI tract and you do NOT want to induce vomiting. If you have not observed any vomiting, you can follow these steps to minimize symptoms:

1) Rinse his mouth, face and paws well with copious amounts of water to remove any residue.
2) Allow him to drink 2 cups of milk.
3) Give 0.5mg/pound of body weight of pepcid every 12-24 hours. This is available OTC and you can buy the off brand "famotidine" if you wish to save a little money.
4) Give a bland diet for the next 5-7 days. You can use boiled chicken breast and rice or boiled chicken breast and canned pumpkin (not pie filler).

If at anytime you notice vomiting, diarrhea, ulcerations in the mouth or body, intestinal cramping, etc. he needs to see your family veterinarian.

Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page:

I'll be standing by if you have any other questions.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?