PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue

She ate several big red ants on her food drops during

Customer Question

She ate several big red ants on her food drops during tracking this morning. She seemed to have some difficulty swallowing immediately but she still took treats from me. That was 3 hrs ago. She seems ok now, but a little lethargic. Just wondering if I need to worry any further or follow up wih my vet. Her eyes were running immediately after the incident. They look normal now.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 1 month ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Typically if we see any reaction at all to ants, it's welts that appear in the coat and swelling that we see around the face. If you wish to be proactive and err on the side of caution, you can treat her as though she did have a reaction to this and give her a dosage of benadryl at 1-2mg per pound of body weight every 8-12 hours as needed. Most often, we would have seen a more major reaction by now if one were going to occur.

Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page:

Hi Marge,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Checking in. How is your companion feeling?