Dr. Amanda
Dr. Amanda, Veterinarian
Experience:  Associate Veterinarian
88695179

Teddy is a shiz zue...he is getting a deep hacking cough,

Customer Question

Hi..Teddy is a shiz zue...he is getting a deep hacking cough,
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Coughing can be worrying. The Veterinarian will know what you should do. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Teddy
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Teddy?
Customer: 13....his spirits are good, but the consistent coughing and hacking really put a burden on his life and ours..I was doing honey and a couple drops of hydro peroxide. Was helping...and I was gone pet sitting and it does not help And more, wanted to know with finances tight, is there a prescription I can get him, or bordatela shot would that help him
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 8 months ago.

My name is***** and I'm sorry to hear that Teddy is coughing tonight.

Coughing in older dogs can be from several different things-

-heart disease

-collapsing trachea

-allergic airway disease

-pneumonia

-lung cancer

The best way to diagnose what is causing the cough is with a physical exam, and if needed, chest x-rays.

I know you said you have financial problems, Do you have a local humane society near you? They often have a full service veterinary hospital open to the public that is usually less expensive than general practices. You also can consider Care Credit. This is a health care credit card that you can use for yourself and your pets. Lastly, the ASPCA has an entire page dedicated to folks who want to help others with their vet bills. Check that page out at https://www.aspca.org/about-us/faq/financial-help-my-vet-bills.
You can also try dextromethorphan over the counter, children's cough suppressants. This is only a bandaid and does not treat the cause of the cough.

Does this help? What other questions do you have?

Dr. Amanda

How is Teddy doing today? Any more coughing? Were you able to find a low cost veterinary option near you?

Dr. Amanda

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Amanda