Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification

My 10 week old puppy just ate deer poop He seems to be okay

Customer Question

My 10 week old puppy just ate deer poop He seems to be okay but I am concerned. We have been extra careful trying to keep him away from exposure until his vaccinations are done
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dog?
Customer: Should we be concerned that he ate the deer poop? I pulled most of it out of his mouth. Are there things we should check or take him to the vet?
JA: The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: He is a portuguese water dog and only 10 weeks old
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 month ago.

Hi there! My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help you with your question.

There is no real worry with the deer's not toxic or dangerous if a dog eats it. Living up here in Northern MN, all of my dogs have eaten their weight in deer poop so far this summer.

One thing that is a concern though is the possibility of intestinal parasites. All wild game feces contains parasites, and since the majority of it is passed through the fecal oral route, odds are high that your pup will end up with them.

That being said...this isn't something that's dangerous....just kind of yucky, and it's not something you need to rush to a vet for or anything. When your dog goes in for his next appointment for vaccines, just make sure that they test his feces for the parasites. They'll send out the right meds to get them cleared up...easy peasy.

I hope this helps.