Sarah Snow
Sarah Snow,
Experience:  Veterinarian at The Vet Clinic East
95832735

He wears himself out running around my storage bldg smelling

Customer Question

he wears himself out running around my storage bldg smelling and trying to poke his head under. i think he is smelling a rat or rats. i wanted to know what i could use to throw off his secnce of smell
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: apollo,2yrs,pit bull and boxer mix
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about apollo?
Customer: no,thats it
Category: Dog
Expert:  Sarah Snow replied 3 months ago.

I am Dr. Snow, and I may be able to help. So it sounds like Apollo is wearing himself out running around your storage building trying to smell other animals that may be inside. Is this correct?

If so, there are a couple things we can try.

One is to use some white or apple cider vinegar mixed in a spray bottle with water. These are safe compounds for your pet and wild animals. You can spray the outer edge of the building to try and mask the scent of whatever is inside.

There is also a spray called bitter apple spray that you can usually find at your local pet store. We often use this to deter animals from chewing on their bandages and such.

Another idea is to use some counterconditioning. This option will take longer, but may be helpful in reversing the behavior. Every time Apollo is running around/sniffing the building, I would recommend calling him and if he comes to you, reward him with a special treat. Every time he goes back towards the building, call him over and reward him again. If he won't come when you call him away from the building, you might have to start just be teaching him to come when called when there isn't something as desirable (as the storage building) around to really reinforce this command.

Please let me know how I can help further.

Dr. Snow

.

Any other questions?

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

JACUSTOMER-l1pkyf4n-