Christi Belew
Christi Belew, Veterinarian
Experience:  Medical Director at Union Hill Animal Hospital

My 7 year old schnauzer weighs 29 lbs he has to loose 7 more

Customer Question

My 7 year old schnauzer weighs 29 lbs he has to loose 7 more lbs he is on a diet.
He has had an echo cardiogram and also xray chest he has been diagnosed with a
leaky heart valve and also a partially collapsed trachea. The specialist refused to
medicate the heart condition that was why I was sent there by the regular vet The dog has trouble breathing minimum twice a day. What should be the first med tried
to make him comfortable
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Christi Belew replied 1 month ago.

Hello, my name is***** and I'd like to help you and Benny. Let's break this down to the two main issues:

1. Leaky heart valve- the cardiologist did not start heart meds as current research tells us that it will not make an effective difference until there are signs of heart failure (this would have been diagnosed by the xray you had done). Now, in a coughing dog, I will start Vetmedin, as it is shown to extend the life span of dogs with heart disease. I will also ask my owners to monitor the sleeping breathing rate of their pet (when Benny is asleep, count the number of times his chest rises in 10 seconds and multiply by 6). He should be below 30. If not, he needs to be xrayed again to make sure he is not going into congestive heart failure

2. Collapsing trachea- the weight loss is number one here, so great job! Also, if he is reacting to the bronchodilators, I have used "cough tabs", which is a mix of Delysm and Mucinex. In later stages, I have used low dose steroid.

I know this is a lot, but you are dealing with 2 complicated issues that if managed well, should not shorten his life or affect his quality of life.

If I have answered your questions, please kindly rate me (this is how I am compensated for my time). If not, please reply back and I am happy to answer additional questions. Thank you.