Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

I don't know for sure. We dropped a 10 mg. melatonin tablet

Customer Question

I don't know for sure. We dropped a 10 mg. melatonin tablet on the floor and haven't found it. My 25 pound cocker spaniel came into the area right before I realized it had been dropped. I have no idea if she ate it or not. What is the risk for her if she did?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: She is 11 years old, in pretty good health, and her name is Mocha
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Mocha?
Customer: She has begun to get some soft tissue benign tumors under her skin in multiple spots, but nothing that bothers her. I'm mostly concerned about the melatonin. I don't want to have to pour the hydrogen peroxide down her throat if I don't need to. That's just rough on both of us.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I have picked up your question and am working on it now.

My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience in treating cats and dogs and smaller pets, rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect to receive a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again

I have worked out a reply for you below.

1. Good news! : Melatonin is sometimes prescribed for dogs so is not toxic to them as such, also this drug has an extremely high margin of safety in the dog, so much so that I have known dogs swallow amounts of it very much in excess of the amount that Mocha ate and not show any adverse side effects of any kind.

2. So really there are no special measures you need take in this sort of situation other than just keeping an eye on your dog, the chances are she will be just fine, but in any case I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me in the very unlikely event that Mocha's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you!

No problem, very glad to be advising you ...

Here is a link to an accurate article which covers how this drug is used in dogs, you will see that it recommends up to 9 mg three times a day for larger dogs. : LINK

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Mocha is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the melatonin tablet...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.