Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

She has a bad UTI that she has now been on nitrofurantoin

Customer Question

Hi! She has a bad UTI that she has now been on nitrofurantoin for almost a week. Friday she tore her CCL. Since then she will not eat and has not pooped. Until yesterday she was eating treats but as of today she won't eat anything over than dog ice cream...
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Wrigley and 7
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Wrigley?
Customer: She is a saint bernard mix and acts fine. She has been dry heaving a little every once in a while but not vomitting. She drinks water normally and she really does act like her normal self.
JA: Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did Wrigley eat anything unusual?
Customer: Oh no, I would rather her make a mess at this point! haha No just her normal dog food on Friday and treats on Saturday and Sunday... Saturday she ate treats no problem and Sunday a little less then today nothing...
Category: Dog
Expert:  Kelly Hill replied 9 months ago.

Hi This is Dr. Hill. Wrigley has been through the ringer over the last week! Is she on any other medications besides the nitrofurantoin? Pain meds for CCL?

Was the urine cultured to see what type of bacteria present? Did she have any bloodwork when she was diagnosed?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Oh yes! She is on Tramadol (3 50 mg pills) every 8 hours along with the nitrofurantoin, Rimadyl 2 1/2 100mg tablets once a day, and levothyroxine .6 mg twice a day (she has been on this for over a year now). Plus she is taking glucosamine tablets.

Okay, so I would stop the Rimadyl for now. It can cause some gastrointestinal issues and I would start her on 20 mg of pepcid AC by mouth twice daily. Does she seem to be in pain?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Yeah, she won't walk and definitely is hurting but she acts normal. My fiancé can move her with her harness she just can't go very far at a time. Today she is barely moving at all. The last two days she has been moaning a lot and breathing pretty heavy and when I pet her and rub her stomach she moans and then falls on her side like it is comforting.

That is a little bit more pain than we typically see with an ACL tear, especially after being on meds for several days. It sounds like her abdomen hurts. Did she have any bloodwork when you took her in initially?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No, not that I know of. It was a drop off appointment.

Here are my thoughts. 1. Nitrofurantoin is not a first line drug that we typically use for uti's. If she had a urine culture and it showed a multi drug resistant infection, then I can see using it. It can cause gastrointestinal issues and liver issues. 2. She really needs to be rechecked and have some bloodwork. The drugs may be making her feel sick but she is a large breed, middle aged girl and we should know how her liver and kidneys are holding up. Did they say why they started Nitrofurantoin?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Yeah, we got her urine cultured and she had two different bacterias and both were multi drug resistant.

Okay that stinks. there are new guidelines for what bacteria we are treating nowadays. Has she had a history of utils. Do you know the names of the bacteria. It matters for the purpose of supplements and for length of treatment.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I don't know the names of them no. This is her first UTI, however we think she had it for a long time. She began urinating in her sleep and losing control of her bladder slightly and I thought it was age. When we went to the vet it had been a month or two of that behavior.

Okay. So, I think the next best step is to get some bloodwork. If her liver values are elevated she may need a different antibiotic, if possible. If you can get a copy of the urine culture I can look at what other options are available for her. If she on glucosamine? It is also beneficial for joints and for her bladder wall. With her not eating much, the meds are just going to make her feel worse.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok! I can't get her urine cultures right now, it will take a little while for me to get those. I also can't get her to the vet until hopefully tomorrow. (I had shoulder surgery a month ago and can't carry her alone.) What can I be doing today/tonight to help her?

So, I would stop the Rimadyl and start the Pepcid AC. Pepcid will kick in pretty quick to help with gastrointestinal discomfort. She is on a pretty hefty dose of Tramadol. How much does she weigh?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok! Where can I get some Pepcid AC? She weighs 120.8 lbs. Also, I was thinking of just giving her a rice and chicken broth dinner and seeing if she would eat that? Is that a good idea?

Definitely try the rice and boneless/skin less chicken breast tonight. Pepcid AC is over the counter at any drug or grocery store. Make sure you get the 20 mg size. She is a big girl!! Send the report once available and I will keep a look out for it today. I am typically off and on the net over the course of the day until about 10 pm.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
ok! We will try that and I will definitely pick some up today! How should I give it to her? Thank you so much for your help! I will send that report as soon as I get it! Hopefully it won't take them too long.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Also, any suggestions on how to get her to poop? and When should I get concerned? haha

It is not uncommon for her not to have a bowel movement for several days. She is not eating very much, so nothing pushing food along into the colon. She is probably not able to posture very well to defecate, but that will get better with time. I would not do anything for that now, unless you note that she is straining. How are you supporting her outside?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
We are using a harness or towel as a sling support, but we bought those grass bathroom things for our balcony so she doesn't have to walk very far at all. That is a relief about the bathroom!

Let me know when you get the results.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
ok. How much Pepid AC do I give?

you can give her 20 mg by mouth twice daily.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Great thank you! I will let you know as soon as I have results!

Okay.