Kelly Hill
Kelly Hill, Veterinarian
Experience:  full time veterinarian at Tender Touch Veterinary Hospital
95569734

Our dog has been limping on her hind leg twice she has

Customer Question

Our dog has been limping on her hind leg twice she has yelped out unable to putvhervpaw down and then it gets better over a day or so but leaves her with a slight limp. Now she passing some blood in her urine she is 8 years old
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: No wounds
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Roxie
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Roxie?
Customer: Her appetite is good no change there. Just this persistent limp and now blood she always seem to be urinating more or trying to urinate more
Category: Dog
Expert:  Kelly Hill replied 4 months ago.

Hi this is Dr. Hill. Is there any possibility that Roxie could have gotten in to rat poison? Do you have any on the property or does she roam?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No it wont be rat poison the limp first started a few months ago she was playing on the verandah suddenly yelped out in pain then it got better but came back again to a constant limp.

Okay, with blood in urine, I needed to be sure. How big is Roxie? what breed?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Beagle cross king charles cav medium sized
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
She's doing little wees in house too doesn't seem to able to stop herself

Okay. so with a chronic rear limb lameness there are a couple of potential causes. A ruptured anterior cruciate ligament, it is typical for it to break down over time and causes episodic inflammation and lameness, a luxating patella (typically congenital and noticed by a local vet), osteoarthritis and last, depending on where you live, tick born diseases.

With the blood in her urine and the increased frequency of urination, it is most likely that she has a urinary tract infection. She need to have a urinalysis with your local veterinarian as soon as possible. They can start her on medications that will make her feel better pretty quickly. They can also do an orthopedic exam and locate the discomfort in her leg.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hello?

Sorry, did you see my post?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Which one? Nothing since i said her breed
Customer: replied 4 months ago.

Ok must be a glitch. I will repost. Sorry. A chronic rear limb lameness can be a number of different things. A rupture anterior cruciate ligament (typically breaks down over time and causes episodic inflammation and lameness), a luxating patella (typically congenital), osteoarthritis and last (depending on where you live) tick born disease.

With blood in her urine and the increase frequency of urination, it is most likely that he has a urinary tract infection

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank u.Would there be any link between the urine and limping?

She needs to have a urinalysis with your local veterinarian as soon as possible. They can start her on medications that will make her feel better pretty quickly. They can also do n orthopedic exam and locate which part of her leg is painful. Less commonly, you can have a neurologic problem with nerve entrapment causing the pain.

The only way I can link the two is if she had bleeding in to a joint and bleeding in to her bladder from a rodenticide ingestion. However, the chronicity of the limp makes that extremely unlikely.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thanks just for my peace of mind aldsldo could any cancers cause the limp

Yes, Unfortunately there is always the possibility of osteosarcoma (bone cancer). An X-ray would help determine if this is a possibility

Feel free to ask additional questions. If you are satisfied with my answer, then please take time to rate my response. Take care.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank u I'll get her to the vet tomorrow

Your welcome. Take care.